ARV Counseling day 1



So I thought that I was supposed to get my ARVs today and have a start on them, but I guess I was mistaken. My first clinic was supposed to be San Lazaro, but even though I liked my doctor there (Doc Torres), we were advised by the doc who diagnosed me (Doc Chua of FEU) that we should transfer to RITM in Alabang. So we left the house at 5am so to avoid the traffic and so that I would still be able to go to the office. I initially told my parents that we should get my docs (cd4 results) from San Lazaro, but they told me that everything is fine and that the doc in RITM would know what to do. So after getting lost in Alabang (I actually thought we'd end up in Tagaytay), we (my parents and I) finally got to RITM.

It seemed like a real nice place, not crowded and far from the city. When we got to the HIV clinic, we were told that I had to have my cd4 taken again and wait till 2:30pm. When we told them that I already took it, they told us that we should have gotten documentation. Clearly I was pissed. So while waiting for my cd4 test, we decided to just go to San Lazaro and treat the 1st part of the day as if it never happened.

When we got to San Lazaro, it was already past 11am. There was a guy in a wheelchair and a big guy who was carrying a pistol with him in the clinic. I think the guy in the wheelchair was an infected inmate. Makes you realize that literally ANYONE can get the virus.

After my name was called (initially my dad accidentally gave out my real nickname, but good thing they allowed me to change it to Aqua), we got to talk to my doc, Dr. Torres. He's a very nice and patient doctor that's why I like him, he doesn't seem to mind when I have tantrums. He explained to us that today was a first of 3 ARV counseling sessions and I would get to start my ARVs after the 3rd one. Frustrating... I know. It was a good talk though. my parents got a better idea of what's going on and at least I wouldn't have to worry about getting side-effects for the next 3 weeks or so. Dr. Torres also gave me a list of foods that i would need to avoid while taking the ARVs... There were A LOT!

For now... We wait. Still debating whether I would need to tell my manager about my condition. Having this sickness calls for a lot of check up sessions with my doc and possible sick days...

Oh well...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Spread love, not spam.